Our latest member spotlight falls on the lovely riverside retreat, Miska Haven Bed & Breakfast. Hosts Diane and Dave Quinn have prepared a number of beautifully unique sites for travelers and tourists alike- from the cozy cabin nestled amongst gigantic cedar and pine trees, to the yurt kitted for a luxurious overnight or week long stay. The Shuswap River winds along the length of the property, and forest trails provide magnificent walking, hiking and outdoor experiences. Enjoy the exercise room overlooking the shining river waters, have an evening outdoors with a crackling fire, or relax in the many nooks and crannies the property provides.
Miska Haven is not only a retreat; it also makes an excellent host for weddings, reunions, group or company retreats, or other functions.
Miska Haven collaborates with a number of exemplary local restaurants, cideries, wineries and farms to provide the best in refreshment for any get-together, large or small.
Learn more about the proprietors of Miska Haven Bed & Breakfast in our exclusive interview. Learn more at www.miskahaven.com, VRBO, Google Business, Facebook and Instagram. You can also place telephone reservations at 1-833-647-5222.
- Tell us about your business. Please include your services, products and featured items/offerings.At Miska Haven Bed & Breakfast, nature’s door is always open and you will be right on its doorstep! With 1800 feet of riverfront and 15 acres of woods to explore, there is no shortage of nature to enjoy. Our B&B consists of two private units – Mowat Cabin and Yogi’s Yurt – nestled in the woods, set back from the Shuswap River and secluded from our home on the property. With a booking of both units, guests may also set up RV/trailer/tent sites at an extra charge. Your accommodations include shared access to a gazebo, firepit, pond, and dock. The Shuswap River is accessible from the dock for swimming, fishing, tubing, kayaking or canoeing. Miska Haven is the perfect “home base” for outdoor activities in the North Okanagan, and an ideal setting to relax and recharge your batteries or host your next family reunion or special event.
- When did your business start?We’ve been in business since we moved to Enderby in July 2018. We held an official grand opening in June 2019 and are open to guests year-round. We are excited to have established partnerships with several local businesses for the supply of guest amenities and services and are open to working with other Chamber members to support the Enderby business community.
- What was your inspiration for starting your business? Recently married, Diane and Dave decided to retire from corporate life in Calgary and move to the Okanagan to start a B&B. Why? Because they were ready to exchange their corporate careers for their love of people and nature! Their new life at Miska Haven is complete with four seasons of outdoor activity… they have found a little piece of heaven just outside Enderby and are keen to share it with others.
- What is your favourite part about your work? We both enjoy being physically active and working outdoors, so maintaining a large riverfront property is fun work for us. Diane loves gardening and Dave loves his new commute and the challenges (aka learning opportunities!) that come with rural living. Most of all, we love meeting new people and sharing the beauty of our natural surroundings with others.
- Please discuss your reasons for being situated in Enderby. We found a beautiful property on the Shuswap River which attracts travellers from near and afar who are looking for a quiet retreat in a natural setting. Enderby is an ideal location for a B&B – just 40 minutes off the main highway between Calgary and Vancouver and 1 hour from the Kelowna International Airport. And it just happens to be where Diane’s grandfather grew up in the early 1900’s! Situated halfway between Salmon Arm and Vernon, there are plenty of wineries, markets, orchards, music events, and outdoor activities for people to explore year round.
- Tell us one thing in the past year that gives you the most pride of accomplishment in your work. We have been receiving consistently positive feedback and reviews from our guests, and everyone who has left Miska Haven says they plan on coming back! We are also very proud of the addition of Yogi’s Yurt which provides a very unique glamping experience for people visiting the Enderby area.
- Let us know about one or two product or services, promotions and items that you would particularly like to showcase. We offer unique accommodations and hospitality to help attract people to this area for vacations, retreats, weddings, reunions, and other special events. Miska Haven is an ideal location in a natural setting for a quiet romantic getaway for two or a larger gathering of family and friends. We provide the venue and are happy to assist our guests, or work with an event planner, to facilitate a memorable occasion.